"A charismatic performer and one of the brightest young talents in the Big Easy" - Offbeat Magazine, 2010
Sasha Masakowski was born into a family of musicians in New Orleans, Louisiana. She grew up studying classical music under the wing of her mother, acclaimed concert pianist Ulrike, spent her teenage years studying music, theater and dance at the prestigious NOCCA, and developed a strong affinity for jazz music in college, where she immersed herself in UNO’s jazz studies program under the tutelage of her father, world renowned jazz guitarist Steve Masakowski. She has since created a unique musical identity combining the facets of her upbringing, and developed a career which has allowed her to perform for audiences across the world.
"Masakowski’s marvelous voice can be sly, sexy, exotic and arresting as she works her way through an incredibly diverse array of music that crosses cultural and stylistic lines in interesting ways” -All About Jazz, 2011
In 2009, after releasing her debut album, “Musical Playground,” Sasha was awarded the prestigious Big Easy Entertainment Award for “Best Emerging Artist” and has been nominated multiple years thereafter in categories such as “Best Female Performer” and “Best Contemporary Jazz Artist” from Offbeat Magazine as well as the Big Easy Music Awards.
In 2011, Masakowski released her second solo album, Wishes, on Hypersoul Records. The album received critical acclaim from the international jazz community. The following year, Sasha held a four-month residency at a top nightclub in Beijing, China. In 2013, she was invited to perform in Moscow with the Grammy Award-winning New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, where she was featured on Russian national television and performed at the U.S. ambassador’s residence. Later that year, Sasha toured Japan with her band as part of a delegation from the New Orleans Department of Tourism to celebrate the 20-year friendship anniversary between New Orleans and sister city Matsue, Japan.
When not performing overseas, Sasha spent 2012 and 2013 touring extensively throughout North America with her art-rock project, Cliff & Sasha, and recorded an album to be released in the fall of 2014. Sasha currently performs several nights a week in various New Orleans nightclubs, and can also be seen at the 2014 French Quarter Festival and New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. She was invited to sing at the Ascona Jazz Festival in Switzerland in summer 2014, where she will perform with her father, guitarist Steve Masakowski, and younger brother, bassist Martin Masakowski.
"the young singer makes it clear that this is high-fashion music that lives beyond the borders of the Big Easy.." - All About Jazz, 2011
* “Best Emerging Artist” nominee- Offbeat Best of the Beat Awards, 2009
* “Best Contemporary Jazz Album: Musical Playground” nominee- Offbeat Best of the Beat Awards, 2009
* “Best Female Vocalist” nominee- Offbeat Best of the Beat Awards, 2009
* “Best Emerging Artist” winner- Big Easy Music Awards, 2009
* “Best Female Vocalist” nominee- Offbeat Best of the Beat Awards, 2010
* “Best Female Performer” nominee- Big Easy Music Awards, 2010
* “Best Contemporary Jazz Artist” nominee- Big Easy Music Awards, 2010
* “Top 40 Under 40”- Gambit Magazine, 2010
* “Best Contemporary Jazz Album: Wishes” nominee- Offbeat Best of the Beat Awards 2011
* “Best Female Performer” nominee- Big Easy Music Awards, 2011
* “Best Female Performer” nominee- Big Easy Music Awards, 2012